Director of Finance & Operations
ABOUT THIS POSITION:
Idea Architects seeks a mission driven Director of Finance and Operations with an acute eye for ﬁnances, knowledge of the publishing industry and a passion for world-changing ideas to oversee ﬁnances and operations.
ABOUT IDEA ARCHITECTS:
Idea Architects is a unique and thriving literary agency that helps visionaries create a wiser, healthier, and more just world one book at a time. With 16 New York Times bestselling books, Idea Architects is proud to partner with authors such as Nobel Peace Laureates Desmond Tutu, Nelson Mandela, the Dalai Lama, iconic scientists such as the legendary primatologist Jane Goodall, Dr. Dan Siegel and Nobel Laureate Elizabeth Blackburn, and equal justice lawyer Bryan Stevenson. We are deeply collaborative and oﬀer a full team of support–from editorial to project management to publicity and marketing to ﬁlm and television development–for all our books. We love sharing great stories and value joy, spaciousness, creativity, diversity, and the oxford comma.
The Director of Finance and Operations…
Direct and oversee ﬁnancial operations of the company:
- Work with CEO and leadership team to set and implement high level ﬁnancial strategy and growth objectives for the company
- Direct annual budgeting and planning process with the CEO and leadership team
- Oversee the budget, ﬁnancial transactions, ﬁnancial management, planning, systems, & controls
- Manage and oversee work of ﬁnancial team consisting of Accountant, Bookkeeper, Financial Specialist, UK co-agent and Foreign co-agent
- Prepare high level ﬁnancial reports and summaries, including Proﬁt and Loss statements, cash ﬂow projections and forecasts predicting future growth
- Coordinate end-of-year ﬁnancial and tax preparation activities such as Review P&L at end of year for accuracy, payment of taxes, submission of tax documents to accountants, coordination of retirement numbers, reviewing of 1099’s for accuracy etc
- Monitor accounts for fraudulent charges and errors
- On a monthly basis, review bookkeeping reports, Monthly P&L, Cash Flow Projection, AR, & Expenses from bookkeeping and bank account to share with exec team
- Manage credit cards and bank accounts as well as payment of bills, writers and authors and deposits of incoming funds
- Manage ﬁnancial records and upload hardcopies of royalty reports
Manage HR functions:
- Manage weekly, monthly, and annual HR administrative tasks such as: administration of payroll, health and business insurance, administration of retirement accounts/ distribution of retirement notices at EOY, administration of 401k plans, distribution of year end W-2’s and cash beneﬁt plans, safe harbor match, proﬁt sharing
- Onboard new employees into HR/Payroll systems & gather appropriate paperwork
- Manage HR records and oversee migrations to new record keeping systems as needed
Conduct Contract Management
- Manage author contracts, publishing and agency agreements in coordination with counsel and senior agents
- Act as a liaison with authors to advise and explain the publishing and agency agreements
- Review and negotiate employment oﬀers and paperwork (NDA, EFT etc)
- Manage all compliance/business/legal paperwork ex. statement of information for IA as S-Corp
Support Operations of Company:
- Provide consultation on matters related to operations, business structure and growth
- Improve the operational systems, processes, and policies in support of organization’s mission—speciﬁcally, support better management reporting, information ﬂow and management, business process and organizational planning.
- 5+ years of experience managing or directing ﬁnances and/or operations at an organization of a comparable or larger scale
- Strong command of deal structure and ﬁnances as it pertains to the publishing industry or an adjacent ﬁeld such as arts licensing
- Familiarity with the ﬁnances and terms of publishing contracts including agency agreements, translation rights, publishing agreements
- Proﬁciency with ﬁnancial management and project management softwares including QuickBooks, Excel, Monday (or a comparable project management tool)
- Passion for Idea Architects’ mission to create a wiser, healthier, and more just world one book at a time
- The ability and role-up-your-sleeves desire to be part of a team in a nimble startup-type environment in a role that will encompass both high level strategic oversight and occasional execution of nitty-gritty tasks
- Strategic, able to assess risks and opportunities and identify best paths forward
- Highly organized, strong “big picture” thinker and also aggressively detail oriented
- Capable of managing multiple priorities and stakeholders
- Mission driven and passionate
- Capable at interpreting and explaining deal structure
- A grounded, collaborative team player who appreciates organizations with a warm and joyful culture
- A good business partner with the EQ and communication skills to balance creativity with data-informed decision-making
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
Idea Architects is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualiﬁed applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Competitive compensation commensurate with experience. Idea Architects oﬀers parental and family leave along with generous health beneﬁts for all employees.
Idea Architects is based in California. Employees work remotely with as-needed in person gatherings. Candidates are encouraged to apply regardless of location.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
We look forward to hearing from you!