ABOUT THIS POSITION:
Idea Architects seeks a mission-driven Senior Agent with a special instinct for transformative stories, a track record of working with high-level authors, a keen eye for incredible writing, and a passion for world-changing ideas.
ABOUT IDEA ARCHITECTS:
Idea Architects is a unique and thriving literary agency that helps visionaries create a wiser, healthier, and more just world one book at a time. With 16 New York Times bestselling books, Idea Architects is proud to partner with authors such as Nobel Peace Laureates Desmond Tutu, Nelson Mandela, the Dalai Lama, iconic scientists such as the legendary primatologist Jane Goodall, Dr. Dan Siegel and Nobel Laureate Elizabeth Blackburn, and equal justice lawyer Bryan Stevenson. We are deeply collaborative and oﬀer a full team of support–from editorial to project management to publicity and marketing to ﬁlm and television development–for all our books. We love sharing great stories and value joy, spaciousness, creativity, diversity, and the oxford comma.
THE SENIOR AGENT:
Oversee full pipeline of book development from idea identiﬁcation, author recruitment and management, writing, editing, publishing and marketing from inception through to go-to-market positioning.
- Identify powerful messages and visionary authors that the culture needs
- Recruit visionary authors
Proposal Development & Pitching
- Work with authors and collaborative writers to develop publishing proposal
- Pitch projects to the very best editors and publishers in the industry
Negotiation & Auctioning
- Act as a liaison between editors and authors as they negotiate terms such as advance and the editorial relationship
- Oversee Auctioning & Negotiation of terms (advance, royalties, rights)
Writing & Editing
- Work closely with author and collaborative writers to create the most powerful and
persuasive book, and to make the process easy and joyful
- This includes regular check-ins and feedback at every step of the writing process to develop ideas to their fullest potential
- Work chapter by chapter with authors, writers and acquiring editors at publishing houses to make sure that the books are delivered in the most polished and professional way
Positioning and Marketing
- Act as a support and liaison during publication, production, and promotional process, to help authors gather a team of industry experts to promote their book and make sure it has the widest reception
- Passion for the types of ideas, books and authors Idea Architects represents as well as for the mission to create a wiser, healthier, and more just world one book at a time
- ideally has 2-5+ years of experience as a literary agent
- Keen eye for excellent writing and editing, ability to oversee editors and collaborative writers
- Strong relationship management skills and familiarity working with exceptional visionary talent
- Finger on the pulse of culture for excellent stories and visionary possible authors
- Command of deal structure and terms as it pertains to the publishing industry, including familiarity with the ﬁnances and terms of publishing contracts including agency agreements, translation rights, publishing agreements
- The ability and role-up-your-sleeves desire to be part of a team in a nimble startup-type environment in a role that will encompass both high level strategic oversight and relationship management and hands-on editing and review
- Hungry for telling important stories
- Passionate about world-changing ideas
- Skilled in writing, editing and storytelling
- Strategic, able to assess risks and opportunities and identify best paths forward
- Capable of managing multiple priorities and stakeholders
- A grounded, collaborative team player who is able both to act proactively and independently and also to collaborate closely with a small team
- A good business partner with the EQ and communication skills to balance creativity with data-informed decision-making
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
Idea Architects is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualiﬁed applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
IA oﬀers best in class compensation structure to ensure agents have both a stable income and the ability to grow with a commission bonus and annual guarantee. Idea Architects oﬀers parental and family leave along with generous health beneﬁts for all employees.
Idea Architects is a distributed organization with headquarters based in California. This will be a remote position with as-needed travel for in-person gatherings on a case-by-case basis.
TO APPLY: Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com.